Saturday, October 23, 2010

More Reflections on George


The other morning I was listening to Jimmy Durante, of all people, while I walked on my treadmill. His version of “As Time Goes By” is a classic and I love it even though his voice is, frankly, marginal at best. “You must remember this” Nora Ephron and I love it.

Well, it occurred to me that he and George Bush the second had a lot in common. Neither was particularly talented in a traditional sense but both were backed by good orchestras and great backup singers. And they were cutthroat in advancing their careers. They were endearing public figures in a way and beloved by those who thought them remarkable for rising to such a level with so little to go on. Plucky, very plucky, especially if your dad was already President.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!