Saturday, October 23, 2010

More on drug addiction


Recently, the Cape newspaper mentioned that there had been a large number of break-ins into houses near my neighborhood. This was just after the same newspaper had run a week-long series on the large number of Cape young people who are addicted to Oxycodone and other prescription drugs.

One homeowner near me returned home and startled a kid searching his house for small electronics to steal and pawn to buy his drugs. That kid escaped ON HIS BICYCLE! According to the paper he was not caught.

Law enforcement is of the opinion that most crime, especially of this type, is related to drug addiction. There has got to be a better way to deal with this so the addicted can either get their drugs and/or get real treatment and avoid prison and the stealing can stop.

I don’t think hard drugs should be legalized and sold openly but I do think we could design a system where people got what they needed, drugs or real treatment, for a reasonable price without all the crime.

In the mean time, I will lock my door and my garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!