Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Visiting a Friend


Some days I simply stop by Martha’s grave because it is nearby and I would like to chat.

Yes, I’m aware that makes no literal sense. My elderly next door neighbor goes to church early each day before Mass so he can pray for friends and relatives. He figures prayers from his church will be on a fast track to the Almighty. I go to the Pine Grove Cemetery to talk to Martha because I figure she can hear me better. In a pinch, I will talk to her from anywhere I happen to be but why not go where the reception is best, especially if it is nearby.

But there are certain days when something a little more formal is required. Decoration Day was what my grandmother called Memorial Day. That was an occasion to “decorate” the graves of loved ones. I usually have some spring flowers in a pot. July 15 is the anniversary of Martha’s death and daughter Jessica and her kids were here this year for that day so we all went over. Recently, I was there for our anniversary. I had mums for the fall and I cleaned up all the family graves and markers that had been overgrown over the summer. Martha loved Christmas so that’s also an important time to visit. And her birthday. You get the idea.

I chat away with Martha’s grandparents and parents just like we were all out to dinner. But with Martha, I provide updates: which of the granddaughters is doing what; who said something funny or cute; what nutty things I’m doing. As if I were not peculiar enough!

I know. I know. A person could get put away for a lot less. But I have no intention of stopping because these “visits” seem to keep me on a even keel and definitely make me feel better.

2 comments:

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!