Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cold showers out of doors!

I have been getting plenty of use of my outdoor shower this summer. I have had one for years. The current model is plastic and was ordered from a mail-order outfit about five years ago. It works fine. I surrounded it with a bit of an enclosure using plastic fencing. I even have a blue beach umbrella for shade!

There is no hot water, of course, so you have to get acclimated to the temperature. I don’t think I have had three indoor showers since Memorial Day! On very hot and humid days I may take more than one. Sometimes I keep my T-shirt and shorts on so they will cool me off as I continue with my work.

I think this may go back to summers camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire when we were kids and the kind of “roughing it” we had to endure. Showering with only cold water outdoors was the routine in those days.

This evening I felt slightly chilly for the first time in many weeks while showering. The coolness made me a little sad. I may not be able to carry on with this for too many more weeks although I hope I can get into October before I have to put it all away.

1 comment:

  1. The next time you feel a yearning to go camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, let me know. Let's go! I'd join you.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!