Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grandpa's not too bright...

Daughter Jessica and I were leading the troops on a forced march to the beach one pleasant evening last week on Hilton Head Island.

As we started down the sandy path through the scrub pines, Olivia, the youngest, stopped and asked to be picked up. I asked in turn, as a grandfather is required to do, if her legs were broken. She told me she had spotted a dreaded red ant and she needed to be carried so she wouldn’t be bitten.

I told her there were no red ants in that path and, besides, what’s the worst that could happen if she was bitten by one. Well, she said, “I would be dead for the rest of my life, that’s all”. From one red ant bite I asked incredulous. “Yes, of course. Don’t you know anything”? “How do you come to believe that”, I wondered out loud?

“From the Internet”, she answered, “which is much smarter than you are”. Son of a gun, nailed again by a six year old with a bad attitude!

1 comment:

  1. I posted a nice quote on my son Tillman's Facebook Page ("Everybody knows everything." -- Jack Kerouac); he angrily / promptly removed me from his list of Facebook Friends!

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!