Thursday, July 1, 2010

The habits of a lifetime.

After a year of retirement: Why am I still tempted to hurry? What’s the rush?

Often, when I realize the proper approach to a job will take longer than I originally planned, I get nervous. The work schedule will be all shot to hell! "I need to get this done and move on to the next project" is always my first thought. I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that I can now take the extra time required. If I can’t finish the work today, I can finish it tomorrow or the next day, week, month or year.

Recently the weather here was so hot and humid I actually stopped work several times. While sitting reading in the ac family room I suddenly felt guilty. Why am I not getting important things done? What’s the holdup here? Am I simply too lazy for words? Let’s get this done despite the weather.

The Type A part of me seems to be taking longer to adjust to retirement than many other aspects of my personality.

1 comment:

  1. Joe asked, "Am I simply too lazy for words?"
    (Obviously not.)
    "The Type A part of me seems to be taking longer to adjust to retirement than many other aspects of my personality."
    (There's always that contest, no? -- the dueling factions of our selves.)

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!