Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Being a lazy Buddhist



I marvel some mornings in retirement about how quickly I have become so lazy. I always suspected that if I gave myself full sway I would be a very lazy person. It’s one of the reasons I kept going so hard, so long.

Now, in the morning, I make excellent coffee and take time to drink it, sitting quietly on the porch or while reading a book. I don’t rush. If I want to go to the store, I decide when it is convenient for me. If I want an apple crisp for supper, I take the time to make it.

When I am doing chores I take breaks and read, listen to music or just sit quietly and think. I meditate when I feel like it and not on any schedule that I can figure out or that is determined by work or anything external.

I have argued recently with friends that I like a good discussion, even a polite argument, on certain matters I think are important, things that have to do with community, public life, politics, et al.

My Buddhism instructor suggested I might want to discourage this “bad habit” in myself. And, instead, marvel at the views of others while suggesting I have taken another approach to the matter without explaining what. If they want to discuss this, I should act like Allen Ginsburg on the William Buckley TV show many years ago and simply say, “I love you” each time they try to engage me in further discussion.

I don’t think I could pull it off. I’m not THAT blissed out! But I get the point. Perhaps I should try. If it does run counter to my very nature, perhaps it will be interesting to see if I can change that at this late date.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t think I could pull it off.I’m not THAT blissed out...

    The other option is to just mention that the views you have addopted are simply those which are most consistent with your position as a member of the Knee-High Baptist Community of the Mid-Cape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do not blindly believe what others say, even the Buddha. See for yourself what brings contentment, clarity, and peace. That is the path for you to follow."
    -Quotation from the teachings of the Buddha.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!