Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Frame of Mind

I’m in the middle of an experiment. I am refusing to cut all the grass at once! Probably sounds pretty silly. But here’s the thing. I’m trying to get into the frame of mind called “retirement”. And the trouble I’m having is this: when I start a chore I feel I must finish it immediately because, after all, I have to get back to work on Monday. Right? No, I don’t. So I can take my time in doing certain things if I can only develop the mentality. Thus, the seemingly silly experiment with cutting a little grass at a time.

Gaining this outlook is harder than you might think. Everyone assumes they will retire and just while away the time. But after 40+ years of rushing everything because of the time restraints around work, I’m finding it difficult to think about, perhaps, doing it tomorrow because today is a swell beach day! Or today is too hot to cut the grass, it can wait. Or, heaven forbid, I don’t feel like it today! I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!