Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I can remember a time, probably right after the Civil War as my daughter likes to interject when I start a story like this, when I could jump out of bed and be fed, bathed, dressed and at my desk less than an hour later. Way less.

Now-a-days, I can barely make it if I have a two hour head start! What's the difference? Well, frankly I try not to rush around like a headless chicken for fear of charging into a door jam or a chair leg. The peripheral vision ain't what it used to be!

I have to do my exercises. I walk on the treadmill and watch the Today Show. According to my crack Internist I'm not walking nearly long enough! Then I need to take pills by the hand full.

I have to stop to eat large quantities of fiber.

I also have to practically shave my entire head. As my middle granddaughter said recently after inspecting my face, "Grandpa, you have hair in your nose!". And in my ears!

After showering I have to apply lotion. I never put lotion on in my life. Manly men don't put on lotion. But if I miss a day in the winter I begin to itch. When did I suddenly start to dry out!

I actually floss. I have thousands invested in these teeth. And dressing requires finding pockets for work keys and home keys and car keys, wallets, checkbooks, nitroglycerin tablets, a handkerchief, a pen, cash, notes reminding me who to call, a datebook. Don't forget the briefcase.

Now I'm locking the door. Wait did I shut off the coffee maker...

Here's a link to a couple of books about staying sharp and aging gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. I'm so old a snide comment might be the end of me!